To install MATLAB or other MathWorks products on an offline machine, you'll need to complete the following tasks:
- Download a complete set of installation files and copy them to the offline computer. Do not skip this step.
- Activate MATLAB in the License Center to obtain the license file and file installation key (FIK).
- Install MATLAB or other MathWorks Products.
1) Download Installation Files
In order to install MATLAB or other MathWorks products on an offline machine, you must first download a complete set of installation files. Do not skip this step.
Note: The ~300 MB installer downloaded from the MathWorks website is NOT a complete set of installation files.
If you attempt to install MATLAB on an offline machine without first downloading a complete set of installation files, you will encounter an error and be unable to proceed with the installation.
Instructions for downloading the offline installation files can be found here:
2) Activate MATLAB to obtain the license file and File Installation Key (FIK)
You must also activate your license to the offline machine before running the installer to obtain the File Installation Key and the license file.
To activate for an offline machine, see the following article:
Please note that for network licenses, you will require a server license file. If you do not have the server license file, please contact your License Administrator(s).
3) Install MATLAB or other MathWorks Products
After you have the installation files, the File Installation Key, and the license file, you are ready to install MATLAB and other MathWorks products..
- Launch the MathWorks Installer from the installation files
- Select "Advanced Options" in the top right of the installer. For R2019b and older, choose the 'offline' or 'Use a File Installation Key' installation method.
- Enter your File Installation Key (FIK), then select Next.
- (R2020a and newer) Browse to the license file, then select next and continue through the installation.
- After the installation is completed, you may launch MATLAB.
For R2019b and older, you will be prompted to activate after the installation is completed.
- Once your installation completes, the activation client will automatically launch.
- In the activation client, select “Activate manually without the Internet”
- Select the first option, “Enter the full path to your license file…”
- Browse to the license file.
- If you receive an 'Activation Complete' message, MATLAB is installed and activated.