Upgrading from LTE to 5G with MATLAB
This one-day course provides an overview of the differences and new features of the 5G physical layer relative to the LTE physical layer. Using MATLAB and 5G Toolbox™, attendees will learn how to generate reference 5G NR waveforms and build and simulate an end-to-end 5G NR PHY model.
- Descriptions of all of the signals and elements of the processing chain for the uplink and downlink 5G NR physical channels
- Best practices and example workflows for how to use 5G Toolbox to generate waveforms and simulate end-to-end systems
Day 1 of 1
Introduction to the 5G NR Physical Layer
Objective: Provide an introduction to the 5G standard and its differences with the LTE standard. Introduce general use cases and requirements for 5G. Learn about the resource grid and frame structure and numerology of 5G waveforms. Understand processing elements for different downlink and uplink physical channels, containing data and control information and physical signals. Learn about the initial acquisition procedures including cell search.
- Introduction to 5G: use cases, requirements, deployment scenarios
- 5G Waveforms, Frame Structure, and Numerology
- Downlink and Uplink Data in 5G NR
- Downlink Control, CORESETs, and Uplink Control in 5G NR
- 5G Physical Signals: DMRS, Synchronization Signal Block, Signals for Channel Sounding
- Initial Acquisition Procedures: Cell Search and RACH
5G NR Waveform Generation and System Simulation Using the 5G Toolbox
Objective: Learn best practices and workflows for using 5G Toolbox. Understand how to generate 5G waveforms, set up spatial channel model, and send a signal through the channel. Explore receiver implementation issues and end-to-end performance metrics. Introduce various application-specific workflows.
- Overview of 5G Toolbox
- Interactive and Programmatic 5G Waveform Generation
- Configuration of Cluster Delay Line and Tapped Delay Line Wireless Channel Models
- Signal Transmission through a Noisy Channel
- Receiver Implementation including Synchronization and Channel Estimation
- End-to-End System Performance Metrics
- Overview of Application-Specific Workflows