Descriptive Statistics and Probability Distributions
Updated 27 Jan 2022
Curriculum Module created in collaboration with Ward Nickle, Humboldt State University
Created with R2020a. Compatible with R2020a and later releases.
This package contains live scripts centered around the fundamentals of descriptive statistics and some commonly used probability distributions. These materials are designed to be flexible and can be easily modified to accommodate a variety of teaching and learning methods. Used in a sequence, the live scripts progressively add depth to the topic. However, each script can be easily adapted for standalone use. It includes a brief background, interactive illustrations, tasks, reflection questions, and example problems for the different concepts explored.
MATLAB Onramp – a free two-hour introductory tutorial to learn the essentials of MATLAB®.
- Display a quantitative variable as a histogram.
- Determine and interpret the mean and the median.
- Determine and interpret the range, variance, and standard deviation.
- Determine and interpret measures of position.
- Display a quantitative variable as a boxplot.
- Define a probability distribution.
- Find statistics given a discrete probability distribution.
- Use the binomial distribution.
- Use the hypergeometric distribution.
- Use the Poisson distribution.
- Describe and use the uniform probability distribution.
- Describe and use the normal probability distribution.
- Describe and use the standard normal probability distribution.
- Describe and use the exponential probability distribution.
MATLAB, Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox™
The license for this module is available in the LICENSE.TXT file in this GitHub repository.
Have any questions or feedback? Contact the MathWorks online teaching team.
Copyright 2021 The MathWorks, Inc.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!