Requires MATLAB 2016b or later.
Use this code to provide a framework for your own big data analysis.
Contains all MATLAB files needed to replicate the demos featured in the fast-paced "Using Tall Arrays with Big Data" video [ http://www.mathworks.com/videos/matlab-tall-arrays-in-action-122883.html ], which is highly recommended for you to watch and obtain context:
1. Pickups demo [.mlx - MATLAB live script] - requires Mapping Toolbox and Distributed Computing Toolbox
2. Averages demo [.mlx - MATLAB live script] - requires Statistics Toolbox and Distributed Computing Toolbox
3. wms.mat [needed for Pickups demo]
4. load_settings.m [needed for Pickups demo]
This zip file does NOT contain datasets. Datasets can be downloaded at http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/about/trip_record_data.shtml. Only one dataset is needed to run the scripts.
This zip file DOES contain the following additional files, which are generated from running the Pickups demo on ALL 2015 Yellow cab datasets:
5. .gif of all 2015 pickups by hour ("raw" version)
6. .gif of all 2015 pickups by hour ("cleaned" version)
7. .fig of all 2015 pickups summarized in a 2D histogram. This can be opened (and manipulated) in MATLAB.
Gabriel Ha (2023). Using Tall Arrays with Big Data - NYC Taxi Demos (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/59353-using-tall-arrays-with-big-data-nyc-taxi-demos), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Fixed a critical syntax bug in the NYC Averages demo that was causing the final tall array to contain only data outliers instead of excluding them (involving inserting a single ~ character...amazing how that makes all the difference)
added hyperlink to video