Syntax and design of subclasses
Learn how to implement subclasses, call superclass methods from subclasses, and control what classes can derive from a superclass.
|Class Diagram Viewer||Create diagrams to investigate class details and hierarchies|
|Names of superclasses|
|Create class diagrams in Class Diagram Viewer app|
|Superclass for heterogeneous array formation|
- Hierarchies of Classes — Concepts
Organizing classes into hierarchies facilitates the reuse of code.
- Designing Heterogeneous Class Hierarchies
Heterogeneous arrays can contain objects of different class, but all objects in the array must derive from a common superclass.
- Subclass Syntax
Specify superclasses on the classdef line after the class name.
- Design Subclass Constructors
Specify superclasses on the
classdefline in the class file.
- Call Superclass Methods on Subclass Objects
Subclass methods can override inherited superclass methods. Subclass methods can call the superclass method that they override.
- Control Sequence of Constructor Calls
Control the order in which MATLAB® constructs objects in class hierarchy.
- Modify Inherited Methods
Subclasses can modify inherited methods.
- Modify Inherited Properties
Subclasses can modify inherited properties that are abstract or private.
- Subclassing Multiple Classes
Multiple inheritance can lead to conflicting definitions. All superclasses must be free of conflicts in definition.
- Specify Allowed Subclasses
Classes can restrict the classes that can derive from it.
Handle Class Compatibility
- Handle Compatible Classes
Enable both handle and value classes to derive from a specific class.
- How to Define Handle-Compatible Classes
Handle compatible classes have applications for mixin and abstract superclasses.
- Methods for Handle-Compatible Classes
Handle-compatible class methods must work with both handle and value objects.
- Handle-Compatible Classes and Heterogeneous Arrays
Heterogeneous class hierarchies impose certain restrictions when classes are handle compatible.
Control Access to Class Members
- Class Members Access
Determine what level of access is allowed for properties, methods, and events.