Automated vehicle identification using bridge vibrations
Updated 04 Aug 2020
Matlab algorithm to automatically identify key vehicle characteristics from vibrations data collected on a suspension bridge
The present code implements in Matlab the procedure used in ref  to automatically identify key vehicle characteristics from vibrations data collected on a suspension bridge. Nevertheless, the present numerical implementation has some minor differences with ref . The bridge is modelled using a continuum model to reduce the computational cost associated with the identification of the vehicles [2,3]. Vehicles are modelled as moving-masses to reduce the computational cost. In the following, only the vertical motion of the main span is modelled. This algorithm is suited to bridges in remote areas with little traffic.
The present submission contains:
- A function eigenBridge.m that computes the modal parameters of a single-span suspension bridge.
- A function filterMyData.m to extract the background component from the dynamic bridge response.
- A function dynaResp_vehicle_TD.m that computes the bridge response to traffic loading (and wind loading, but this is not yet tested for wind + traffic).
- A function findMass.m that aims to identify the mass fo the vehicles crossing the bridge.
- A function findSpeed that aims to identify the sped fo the vehicles crossing the bridge.
- A function findVehicleID.m that identify the number of vehicles crossing the bridge and their arrival time.
- A function movingLoad.m that is used internally to compute the load of a moving mass on a beam.
- A function getSamplingPara.m that is used to get the sampling frequency and time vector for the example file.
- A function RMSE.m that simply computes the root-mean-square error.
- A Matlab livescript Example1.mlx
 Cheynet, E., Daniotti, N., Jakobsen, J. B., & Snæbjörnsson, J. (2020). Improved long‐span bridge modeling using data‐driven identification of vehicle‐induced vibrations. Structural Control and Health Monitoring, volume 27, issue 9. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2574
 E. Cheynet. ECheynet/EigenBridge v3.3. Zenodo, 2020, https://doi.org/10.5281/ZENODO.3817982.
Cheynet, Etienne, et al. “Improved Long-Span Bridge Modeling Using Data-Driven Identification of Vehicle-Induced Vibrations.” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, vol. 27, no. 9, Wiley, June 2020, doi:10.1002/stc.2574.
Cheynet, E. Automated Vehicle Identification Using Bridge Vibrations. Zenodo, 2020, doi:10.5281/ZENODO.3971758.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!