Chemical and Petroleum Industry Manager
Are you passionate about the megatrends of digital transformation and push to clean energy technologies that are sweeping the traditional chemical, petroleum, oil, and gas industries? Are you experienced in using MATLAB and Simulink for data analytics, AI, drilling technologies, reservoir engineering, robust control, digital twins, predictive maintenance, or other related applications? Are you interested in working with engineers in these industries to help them transform their workflows and reimagine their industries? Then this is the role for you.
As the Chemical and Petroleum Industry Manager, you will deploy your knowledge of the industry to develop and execute the company strategy to increase the adoption of MATLAB, Simulink, Technical Computing, and Model-Based Design workflows within all aspects of upstream, downstream, and process applications. You will collaborate with sales, marketing, engineering, and other teams on the market development strategy, marketing message, supporting content, and marketing plan, as well as help define the long-term technology roadmap. Through these efforts you will shape how the chemical and petroleum industry perceives MathWorks and be the champion for the industry internally, to ensure MathWorks product development plans are aligned with the latest market trends.
- Deploy your knowledge of, and passion for, MATLAB and Simulink in the chemical and petroleum industries to grow the various industry sub-segments & cultivate strategic accounts
- Using your knowledge of MATLAB, Simulink, and the industry, work with customers to understand their workflows in detail, identify gaps and fill those gaps that can be addressed by MathWorks products.
- Through direct customer engagements, identify strategic projects/programs at key accounts and secure deep technical engagements with MathWorks technical experts, to establish organizational adoption of MathWorks products.
- As an industry expert, meet with senior and executive management at strategic accounts to create a common vision for adoption of MathWorks technology in support of their business goals.
- Build and nurture relationships with senior engineering managers in key accounts.
- Perform industry benchmark analysis to identify growth areas/groups/opportunities and develop adoption and engagement strategies
- Distill key lessons learned into a set of best practices and sales enablement tools for others, to support increasing sales worldwide
- Identify and work with critical 3rd party industry partners who provide complimentary tools to complete the customer workflow
- Enlist and drive the engagement of chemical and petroleum industry communities in championing MATLAB, Simulink, Technical Computing, and Model-Based Design.
- Cultivate and enlist key influencers in industry and academia to advocate for the benefits of MathWorks products and workflows
- Engage with industry bodies and regulatory authorities to help them understand the role of MathWorks products and workflows in supporting industry compliance with regulations
- Deliver presentations, papers, panels at conferences and industry events, serve as the MathWorks spokesperson for these industries by interacting with industry analysts, editors and journalists, and drive marketing programs and supporting materials for web and other promotion tactics.
- Develop and execute market segment strategy and business plan
- Identify new market opportunities and industry segments and develop plans to increase penetration and growth and report progress on it to the internal strategic “board of advisors”
- Using deep knowledge of customer workflows and unmet customer needs, advocate on behalf of customers to influence the future direction of MathWorks’ products
- A bachelor's degree and 7 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree and 5 years of professional work experience, or a PhD degree, or equivalent experience) is required.
- Master’s or doctorate degree in relevant science or engineering disciplines
- Strong knowledge of and experience (12+ years) in application of technical computing software such as MATLAB and associated toolboxes, or Model-Based Design workflows with Simulink or equivalent software platforms.
- Prior relevant work experience in chemical, petroleum, or allied industries.
- Prior experience in working with sales and driving technical engagements with customers
- Motivation to work in a customer-facing or sales-facing role
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Product marketing, technical field marketing, or business development experience with a global software company
This position will be based in Plano, TX. The candidate should expect to travel about 20-30% of the time in support of customer facing engagements. Travel will be primarily within North America, with occasional international travel in support of MathWorks global business.
It's the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It's the opportunity to accelerate the pace of discovery, innovation, and learning in engineering and science. And it’s a commitment to doing the right thing—for each individual, our customers, and the local community. We cultivate an enjoyable, participatory, and rational environment that champions individual growth, appreciates diversity, encourages initiative, values collaboration, shares success, and rewards excellence.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs more than 5,000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, USA. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
YOU + MathWorks = Unlimited Possibilities
Join Our Talent Network
Receive personalized job opportunities, stories, and company updates.
Contact us if you need reasonable accommodation because of a disability in order to apply for a position.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here.
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here.